Along with the new I’m Obsessed series, this is a new weekly feature I’ll be starting and I’m pretty excited about it!
When I started brainstorming new post ideas and new weekly feature ideas, a few things came up: 1- I really enjoy lists 2- I want to write more essay type posts
So, I decided I wanted to share some tips with you each week. Lists, and more words for the blog!
I’ll be sharing 5 tips each week and they will mostly be random. I plan to do some “themed tips” (like art journaling and tips on blogging) so if you want any specific tips let me know!
Here’s my tips for this Monday
1) Wake up early. I’m a night owl at heart and become nocturnal without even trying but the past month or so, I’ve been waking up with my fiance at 6am. I get so much more done when I get up early. On the days he lets me sleep in, I wake up at noon or 2pm, grumpy that I slept in, grumpy that I won’t get to bed early again and then just pout and play around all day.
When I get up early, I write my morning pages, I blog and get some business done. Mostly all by 11am. And then I have the rest of the day free to read and watch TV. Oh and naps. I take so many more naps getting up early. Naps rock.
2) Don’t go up against the witch when you have no back up close by. (unless of course you are playing a mutation and have the M60 with unlimited ammo).
3) Take time for yourself. I’ve read so many things that tell me to stop wasting time online, to watch less TV…In the Artist’s Way book, one week you’re not allowed to read.
Insane. The theory is, you won’t be distracted. You’ll have more time to think, to enjoy the nuances of life, more time to work and be creative. Okay, that’s true, you do have more time.
But I don’t work that way. I know that I’m the kind of person that needs lots of breaks. I work in spurts, I get lots of energy or inspiration and I tackle something hard core for a good bit, then need to recharge.
My recharging is sometimes hours while I read, others it’s just a few minutes of playing with my cat. But either way, I need those breaks or I won’t ever get anything accomplished.
I think it’s important to know how we all work well. Some of you out there, I’m sure would benefit from unplugging the TV or computer and just work work work until it’s done. But I can’t and that’s okay.
4) Dust your computer. This is a huge pet peeve of mine! You’ll thank me if you do this more. Once a month open up your tower and use a Giotto’s air blower (or similar) to blow the dust out (especially if you have pets and wood floors!).
If you aren’t a tech-y person, you may feel more comfortable letting someone else do this. I helped build my computer from the ground up and know a lot about it, so I do it on my own.
Just be careful not to jiggle things loose!
5) Eat Dessert. Everyday. Seriously. Even if it’s something small (like a candy cane, chocolate cereal, even toast sometimes), dessert makes everything better. Dessert doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Apples with caramel, strawberries and chocolate, a bowl of fruit. Anything. But give yourself a treat, every single day. You’ll thank me for this later too.
(ps- I just noticed that this is my 400th post! YAY!)